Dear John,

The byte-ordering is determined simply from the header file.
We use the very first field in the analyze header - sizeof_hdr -
which we test to see if it is equal to 348.  If it isn't we
perform byte-swapping of both header and image.

All the best,
        Mark

P.S. So far we have never encountered analyze files that do not have
a header of size 348, although I believe that strictly speaking
the standard leaves this open...