I also found it tricky to crack the format of Siemen's flavor of dicom.
I eventually found that the dicomread and dicominfo functions in Matlab's
Image Processing Toolbox work well with data from our Siemens scanner
(which recently underwent Siemen's NT upgrade).  I think it may be that
only recent version of the toolbox have the dicom functions that will work
with the most resent Siemens dicom files - I use Matlab 6.5 and the
functions work beautifully there.  As for then exporting the images to
analyze - I've written a Matlab program that uses dicomread and dicominfo,
reshuffles/reorients the image to meet analyze's default format, then
writes it to disk.

Hope that helps,

John Herrington