Whose Britain, Who's British?
A publishing project for the British Council.

This project aims to bring together approximately 50 pieces of writing of
approximately 1000 words on how Britain and 'Britishness' are perceived by
refugees resident in the United Kingdom.

We want this anthology to project the actual diversity of refugees in the
United Kingdom. For this reason we  invite refugees of different
backgrounds, age and gender (with or without previous writing experience) to
express their views on how they perceive Britain and what being British
means to them. If you know of anyone who would be suitable, please encourage
him or her to write a piece and send it to me at the address below. We will
pay a fixed rate for any submitted piece of writing that we decide to use.

The piece of writing should consist of approximately 1000 words and it
should deal with the writers' perception of Britain. What were their
preconceptions of Britain? What did they expect to find in Britain? Whether
and how their ideas of Britain changed after their arrival and what to them
being British means. Ideally we would like pieces of creative writing
bringing in accounts of people's own experiences rather than technical
essays. They might take the form of a short story, a
poem, piece of reportage etc.

Although the writings should preferably be in English, we have funds
available to translate some pieces from the original language. Any foreign
languages submission should include a short abstract ( a couple of
sentences) in English and the name of the language in which it is written.
All writers should include contact details of some kind so we can get back
to them.

Thank you very much for your help. I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely

Nushin Arbabzadah
10 Ewin Court
Oxford OX3 0NY
Tel: O1865 201270
Mobile: 07930 589946
Email:[log in to unmask]

Note: The material contained in this communication comes to you from the
Forced Migration Discussion List which is moderated by the Refugee Studies
Centre (RSC), University of Oxford. It does not necessarily reflect the
views of the RSC or the University. If you re-print, copy, archive or
re-post this message please retain this disclaimer. Quotations or extracts
should include attribution to the original sources.