Hello again folks,

Matthew commented on integration of SPECTRUM and MIDAS

> In general, there will be a need for SMRs to broaden the range of
> information that they manage and disseminate, but this will
> be fuelled by
> internal as well as external drivers as they move towards becoming
> fully-fledged Historic Environment Records, with the new audiences and
> audience needs that this will inevitably bring.

in this context I would welcome comment on another aspect of SPECTRUM that
we might be able to 'borrow' - the notion of 'procedures'.

SPECTRUM takes as its starting point a range of tasks or procedures that are
part oc the everyday work of a museum curator (e.g. documenting a
collection, accesioning a new artefacts, undertaking conservation on an
artefact). It then defines what information is required to document that
procedure.

I see from the current consultation on Benchmarks for Best practice
(available online at
http://www.culture.gov.uk/global/consultations/2003+current+consultations/he
r_consultation.htm
) that it is an aspiration for the HER community to move in this directtion.

Section 3.1.b under 2nd stage HER performance measures refers to:-

" Extended written manual for procedures to cover the range of historic
environment information systems with which the Record shares data or has
links.
?Adoption of a full procedural standards (e.g. equivalent to SPECTRUM for
museums) for which documentation may be developed in next 5 years"

The question then is - what are our procedures? It's possible to see some
parallels e.g. accessioning of a new dataset (ie backlog), conservation of a
monument, development control etc. Should this approach be developed for the
2nd edition?

Ed