Eisenstein was referring to the experiments of Lev Kuleshov, who juxtaposed the same facial expression with two different intercuts, altering the meaning of the shot in the process, or at least how we tend to read the meaning.  This is crucial to the theory of montage as dialectic that he develops in the book Film Form.

Dan Shaw

"For beauty is the beginning of terror that we are still able to bear, and why we love it so is because it so serenely disdains to destroy us." Rilke's First Elegy

*
*
*
*
***

Film-Philosophy Email Discussion Salon.

To leave, send the message: leave film-philosopy to: [log in to unmask]

***