I was just wondering, since I am aware that a few members of the Salon online actually are writing their theses or research on Korean cinema as well, how far they can recommend films related to the theme of "coming-of-age"(growing up) and its relation to that of nationhood and nationbuilding in Korea?

I was watching "The Classic", more correctly titled "Kkeu Ra Sik" in Korean phonology, which narrates the theme of growing up through two interwoven layers. The first layer was the story of Ji-Hae's crush on a young aspiring playwright, Sang-min, in college, in which although in love, she chooses to keep her love and admiration secret because of fear of coming in between Sang-min and her best friend who loves Sang-min. The latter constitutes of the story of a thwarted love story between Ji-Hae's mother and Joon-ha, whom she cannot marry because she is betrothed to Tae-Soo, his best friend, and whom her political party member father has arranged for her to marry. What I found interesting, despite the commonplace element of the latter narrative of the past reflecting and mirroring the present, is that the latter story is narrated through the letters written during the Korean War period by Joon-Ha to Ji-Hae's mother, which Ji-Hae discovers and pieces together to find out the "classic" story of her mother's love. In the latter story's narration, there is the implication that in the sacrifices of the older generation, we find the subsequent fruition of the hopes of the younger generation, and there is that element of time past and time present which when interwoven together seems to imply that growing up or "coming-of-age"(in that usual Anne Montgomery or "Little Women" sense of growing up and becoming an adult) as a person who discovers love, hope and fear, is also intertwined with the theme of nationhood in South Korean cinema, especially the contra-distinction of South Korea as a democratic state which possesses its own right to exist outside of international interference in its politics.

What I found interesting was the probability that the film may be making references either subconsciously or obviously to the post-Korean  War films of the 60s and 70s, after the economic depression that sets in in the South right after the War. Are there any such Korean films of this period which I can access easily via archives which have a similar thrust in theme and narrative construction?

Kevin

*
*
*
*
***

Film-Philosophy Email Discussion Salon.

To leave, send the message: leave film-philosopy to: [log in to unmask]

***