Many thanks to all those who offered me advice in regard to the VCR problem. An interesting example of good coming out of a bad experience, it's been something of an education! In particular, thanks Cara for putting me onto vidipax.com. Unfortunately, I have had to buy a new VCR as it seemed the head was damaged, as Pamela Hutchinson's boss divined! (At least my videos appear to be still sound). Suffice to say, I have printed all of these responses off and will refer to them if ever problems arise again, or on dark days as the nights draw in! A genuine learning experience; thank-you all.
Best wishes,
Richard