The final scene of Mike Figgis' One Night Stand is another example of unreliable narration. Although we know that all four characters have been unfaithful to their spouses, we are not ready to see them in new relationships yet. The camera is deliberately equivocal as first the Ming Na-Wen character is seen with her former husband, played by Wesley Snipes, in a two-shot alongside the cab that will eventually take her and the Kyle McLachlan character away. We then see Karen (Nastassja Kinski) and Snipes together. Figgis is clearly playing with our assumptions and expectations here. (Forgive me for not remembering the characters' names. It's 00:30). Indeed, it's a film that deliberately problematizes narration in another sense as Max (Snipes) begins by narrating directly to camera, before giving up the ghost as his life is seen to change overnight, as it were.
Richard