> > Date:    Fri, 31 Jan 2003 09:32:57 -0600
> > From:    JSVASSAR <[log in to unmask]>
> > Subject: Re: FILM-PHILOSOPHY Digest - 25 Jan 2003 to 28 Jan 2003
(#2003-27 )

> > I need some bibliographical help.  Can someone please refer me to the
> > citation for Jean-Luc Goddard's statement "The best way to criticize a
movie
> > is to make another movie."  I appreciate your assistance.
> >
> > John S. Vassar
> > Assistant Professor in Humanities
> > Louisiana State University -- Shreveport
> > One University Place
> > Shreveport, LA 71115
> > (318) 797-5326

I've been looking. There are a lot of quotations from Godard to similar
effect, for example:

     But if criticism was a first rung on the ladder, it was not simply a
means. People say we made use of criticism. No. We were thinking cinema and
at a certain moment we felt the need to extend that thought.
(Godard, Godard on Godard, p. 172).
     Making films hasn't changed my life very much, because I made them
before by writing criticism, and if I had to return to criticism, it would
be a way of going on making films. (Godard, Cahiers du Cinéma - 1960-1968,
p. 64).

Steve Mannes: Do you feel part of the alphabet you speak of will include
films that criticize filmmaking?

JLG: No. I do it in the movies sometimes because I like to. But I don't want
to oblide you to do it that way, I only want to oblige you to do it for
yourself... The criticism must be in the moviemaker, not in the movie. But
you can do it in the movie if you want to. There is no law againt it.

   (Jean-Luc Godard - Interviews, ed., David Sterritt, p. 44).

But I haven't yet found the precise quote.

Paul