I agree that The Thin Red Line is one of the best war movies of all times, and perhaps one of the most philosophical, imbued as Terence Malick is with Heidegger's philosophy.  But I'd like to hear more from Richard about why he thought so.

Dan Shaw

-----Original Message-----
From:   Film-Philosophy Salon on behalf of Anna Hindley
Sent:   Wed 9/10/2003 10:29 AM
To:     [log in to unmask]
Subject:        Re: the thin red line /2
I thought the casting was interesting in that it seemed that the bigger the
star, the higher their rank in the depicted army; so while a major
Hollywood player like John Travolta appears for only a few minutes, the
weight of the film is carried by relative unknowns John Cavaziel and Ben
Chaplin.  This means that the higher ranked personnel are recognised as
important by the audience in the way that they might be recognised by the
soldiers.

- Anna