From: John Riley <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 14:27:11 +0100
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: music as an image in cinema

This is a fascinating (but vast) area. You could consider large parts of the
outputs of Ken Russell and Tony Palmer as well as others. There are several
Soviet demonstrations of Russian musical genius ("Mussorgsky", "Glinka",
"The Composer Glinka", "Rimsky-Korsakov") which put a political gloss on the
question. I guess the classic of music madness in movies is "Hangover
Square" though it's not about a real composer.

One question might be; how is the portrayal of *musical* genius different
from that in the other arts (e.g. "Lust for Life", "The Agony and the
Ecstasy", "Savage Messiah", [even, perhaps "The Rebel"?!])