Forgive my typically delayed entry into these debates, but a couple of
remarks on recent topics:
- the kind of films that Kate mentioned as provoking a questioning of
reality - Matrix, Dark City etc (cf also Strange Days) find some
intriguing parallels in films from outside Hollywood.  I'm thinking in
particular of Abre los ojos (Spain, Alejandro Amenabar, 1997) and
Perfect Blue (Japan, Satoshi Kon, 1997).

- Re. split screens.  Classical narrative cinema frequently uses split
screen of course to represent telephone conversations and, although I
haven't seen it, I understand the recent Phone Booth makes fairly
systematic use of this device.
- Although there may not be (m)any split screens proper in Godard, if
you're interested more generally on the placing of two or more images or
screens alongside each other, then his work is crucial, especially all
the video stuff.  Stephen Forcer of Exeter University gave a fascinating
paper about this in relation to Numero deux at last weekend's European
cinema Research Forum conference at Bath university.

Douglas Morrey
Lecturer in French
School of Modern Languages
University of Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 7RU
Tel: +44 (0)191 2225054