Testimony [1988].

Ben Kingsley plays Dmitri Shostakovich. Based on the book Testimony: The
Memoirs of Dmitri Shostakovich by Solomon Volkov.

Aspects of Testimony border on Sybil Bedford's exercise in fictional
autobiography [Jigsaw]. This is particularly evident in Shostakovich's
self-styled portrayal of Stalin and his interlocking destinies. In near epic
fashion, Shostakovich and Stalin's relationship becomes an apotheosis of the
struggle between good and evil in this film. A dramatization of
will-to-power vs will to truth-in-art. At least according to Shostakovich
and Volkov.

Likewise, Prokofiev functions as an alter-ego. As the main rival to
Shostakovich, Prokofiev is the composer whose genius is subsumed by the
demands of Stalin and the Soviet State. More publicly acclaimed, and
compositionally accessible, Prokofiev is the artist who has gone the way of
the low-road, to S's high-road. The manner in which the film adopts
fictional forms for historical figures, reminds me of the fully fictional
Salieri to Peter Shaffer's Mozart in Amadeus [1984].

The intersections of autobiography and biography is also played out in the
father/son, hero/adulator, mentor/critical protogé roles of Shostakovich and
Volkov. The later may be in the service of S as the accomodating recorder of
the *great* composer's memoirs. Nonetheless he frames the story as
interlocutor and editor. In some senses the story is told through Volkov's
lenses.

It is an uneven film perhaps. But even years later this film still
resonates, mostly as time-compressed sound-images, character-images, and
epiphanal moments such as Shostakovich on the roofs of Leningrad during the
invasion of Moscow.

Susanna