Yes. The superbly complex analysis and marketing of ideas by sound/images/video assumes and examines a unique interaction with and response by the viewer. We all know that to create an association with fear/anxiety, among others, is a primordial ingredient in the recipe for influence and control.  Imagine the lines of argumentation in meetings among various professionals to determine the desired outcome by a multitude of media techniques.. Thus altho FOX et al could show various groupings of most  peoples' anxieties, only those who serve the purpose and who have already excessively identified with the state will be projected to the screen and rewarded. This will alienate others who refuse to play and who are viewed as an obstacle in any event, but overall the battle is eventually won by... As well, perhaps any attempted  use of spectacle to repress, rather than confirm and alleviate anxiety, only really alters it by forming new expectations for security by identification with the pretending protector. Spectacle rarely loses. As for responsibility among most warrior journalists, we are under few illusions. They see but they report the insupportable.
Richard.  --- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Ross Macleay
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Saturday, April 12, 2003 9:02 PM
Subject: Re: Framing History

Quite right Sukhbir. The peoples anxieties are not the kind of TV spectacle that FOX et al wants to or can show, and as you point out who would want to share such experience with them. This is why historiography, especially on screen, frames, stages, and selects the grandiose, the spectacle and why historians, among whom I include journalists, have a responsibility to see beyond this kind of historiography. In thinking this I certainly hope that what I am doing is not a case of labouring under an illusion comparable to that of the US/UK/Aust resolve to 'liberate' Iraq.

Ross