Adrian, your reference to Albert Brooks, 'terrific filmmaker,' is
tantalisingly cinephiliac. As is the idea of Burch's and Sellier's critique
of the culture of cinephilia. I too would love to learn more about this
critique. I notice no one has responded to your request for enlightenment so I'll renew it.

It is hardly a new phenomenon but I have read quite a few articles and literary essays on bibliophilia lately - variously, predictably nostalgic, elegaic, resigned, culturally panicked or worried about the novel. It seems people mostly watch fiction and read non fiction. Apart from one by David Foster Wallace, the pieces were not great advertisements for literary culture. Nearly all use the banal argument and treat cinephilia (and telephilia) as at best a love flawed by addiction, banality and triviality. But I would like to read a more thoughtful, less off the shelf critique, one that is self-critique for cinephiles

Ross