	From: Katherine Greenwood [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
	Sent: Sun 4/20/2003 8:20 PM
	To: [log in to unmask]
	Subject: film and ideology

	Hello all
	Without wanting to restate the same terms of debate of the recent discussion
	about _The Matrix_ on this list, I wanted to pose a couple of questions about
	this film, among others:

	Is it important that The Truman Show, The Matrix, Dark City and Fight Club
	(among other films) appeared within 2  years of each other and all contain a
	similarly overt address to theories/philosophies of ideology? (here I am using
	'ideology' in the Althusserian sense of being the representation of the
	imaginary relationship of individuals to their real conditions of existence)?
	The question as to whether theory/philosophy 'belong' in popular culture arose
	during the recent discussion about The Matrix, and I was wondering if it is new
	for Hollywood to contain, to varying degrees, self-conscious references to
	contemporary theories of ideology, or has this always been the case? I ask this
	more in the sense that I believe these films represent, to varying degrees, an
	examination of ideology as a general concept rather than provide examples where
	one can apply and critique the treatment of various specific ideologies.  Can
	anyone suggest any other (historic) examples of popular films which address
	ideology? Or is this just me reading what I want to into these films at the
	expense of objectivity?

	Cheers
	Kate