Hi Dan/Rutger, and anyone else.

Yes, its very intriguing that even with all the devices, FG still comes
off as believable and 'realistic' horror - even when much of the violence
is offscreen, as with the killing of the boy. (Also, in Benny's Video we
don't see much of what has us so disturbed.) Rutger raises interesting
questions of the responsiblity of the audience, but I'm not exactly sure
about Haneke giving the audience what it wants. Sure we want to be scared
to death when we go see a thriller or horror flick, but I read somewhere
that H has more respect for people who walk out of his films than those
who stay (can't remember where I read it and I can't remember exactly how
he put it). I think what makes FG different from other nouvelle violence
films like Pulp Fiction, is that the latter makes us laugh in our
discomfort with the violence. PF has very funny moments, FG has none. Of
course, in PF we do question why we laugh, but in FG we question why we
watch.

Thanks for the discussion!

cheers
patricia

>>> Error in line 10 of FILM-PHILOSOPHY.MAILTPL: unknown formatting command <<<