As another unashamed 'friend' of Vincent Gallo, I was
appalled at the his treatment at Cannes, most notably
at the press conference where he was accompanied by
Chloe Sevigny.

It seems to me that figures like Gallo, at an adjunct
to the ongoing poverty of film directors that roam
Cannes (yes..the Watchowski's), become the focus of
unmitigated aggression from the panel precisely for
their self-mythologising habits.

I actually read, I think in the Independent on Sunday,
that certain critics were 'appalled' at the lack of
action in the first half of the movie. How dare Gallo
dedicate so much time to the reverence of his own self
image was a repeated sentiment.

And yet Chantal Akerman, darling of Cannes, has made a
career from the very same visual practice, from the
earliest 'Hotel Monterey' and 'Chambre' movies right
through 'Je Tu Il Elle' to 'La Captive'. Not much
happens, as Yvonne Marguiles reminds us, in Akerman.

There's little action in Brown Bunny too, yet Gallo as
a figure conscious of his own celebrity he calls
certain a respect------may I remind people that this
is a man who has been exhibiting as a painter since
the early eighties, was a contemporary of Basquiat,
has released 2 great albums, published an incredible
photojournal, and made one of the seminal contemporary
independent movies.

So what if his bastard-ometer is perpetually set at
max.

Reading interviews with Gallo...the man drips
sincerity. I read he fired Winona Ryder for not
turning up on set at 9 am. Good.

Whats wrong with a little boat rocking. His comments
on Korine are harsh admittedly, but they electrocute
that dead dog indie cinema. Few would scorn the days
when Goddard issued challenges willy nilly, in defence
of his insurmountable 'cine-sincerity'.

Perhaps Gallo's films, in their fullest sense, are
inseparable from his self-mythologising extratextual
world. Bufallo 66 "as quasi-biopic of Gallo" is still
the discursive line---it seems critics cannot divorce
Gallo as myth from his films.

Gallo is perhaps reminiscent of Paul Morrissey, the
republican who worked with Warhol on Flesh, Trash and
Heat, at their decadent height.

He gives us oral sex on screen, and tears after a
press conference.

I mourn the day that such artistic hypocrisies are not
taken with open arms.

Having noted that the last nail has been firmly
hammered down on the coffin of film-as-language; with
the gap-advert, orientalist, clumsy car-crash that was
'Matrix Reloaded' and 'Daredevil';

perhaps Gallo is doing more good than harm. He is
showing that you dont have to spend monstrous sums of
money to further the form.

finally, Gallo's music videos/adverts are shoestring
sublime. You can see them at

http://www.galloappreciation.com/index2.html

gratuitously, a Gallo fan--

Dave Surman