Two examples from Godard...
The soldiers trying to peek "around" the screen in "Les Carabiniers"
The visit to the cinema and Paul's rebuking the projectionist in "Masculine-Feminine"

There is a quotation from Truffaut somewhere in which he describes taking a seat as close to the screen as possible, as if he wanted to climb in. My own experiences mirror that somewhat.
When I was a teenager, there were still triple features at some local theatres, and I would take a spot in the balcony to settle in for the day. Later, I found myself drawn more to the front rows. (Not the very fron, but arounf the 3rd...)
When Dolby stereo became more prominent, a projectionist explained to me that a central seat was better in order to hear all six channels, so I've moved back a few rows....

Robert Hunt