Steffen wrote to film-philosophy:

S> maybe other apocalyptic films?

For the literal(ist) apocalypse, Michael Tolkin's _The Rapture_; for the
sublime, Richard Lester's _The Bed Sitting Room_ and Luc Besson's _Le
Dernier Combat_; for the ridiculous, Jack Smight's _Damnation Alley_ (a
special tip for guy who said _Mad Max II_ invented the genre).

Your original bag of films does seem a little ... diffuse ... to me,
tho. By "apocalyptic", are you referring to (a) films that depict a
biblical-model apocalypse (_Reign of Fire_, _The Rapture_); (b) films
set immediately pre- and post- global nuclear war (_On the Beach_, _The
Day After_, _Fail Safe_, _Dr. Strangelove_, arguably _The Sacrifice_);
(c) films that depict a post-apocalypse, refeudalized (or at least,
fragmented and deurbanized) civilization (_The Postman_, _Waterworld_);
(d) immediately post-apocalyptic anarchic chaos (_Mad Max II_,
_Damnation Alley_, _Last Man on Earth_/_Omega Man_, _Dernier Combat_);
or (e) pre-apocalpyse social breakdown (_The Crow_, _Strange Days_)?

There are, conservatively, several hundred films out there that match
your query (I barely *touched* non-US product) ... did you say "short"
essay :-)?

--
Jim Flannery                                       [log in to unmask]

     Because they've created such a deep structure now, you can't
     get in. And we don't want to get in, we're on the outside.
     But we're not on the outside looking in, we're on the outside
     looking out.                                     -- John Zorn

np: Rolling Stones, _Goats Head Soup_
nr: Edward Carey, _Observatory Mansions_