Ross :
> 5. Difficulty even for native speakers of actually hearing
> lyrics in order to translate. I wouldn't mind the odd karaoke line under
> songs in English.

> 7. Almost no-one speaks or can speak for the audiences who would like
> translations. The symptom is scarcely articulated, let alone change
> advocated. There are no activists, NGO's, political parties.
> At best there is Adrian's philosophical question.

An additional point that sprang to my mind, particularly regarding these two
points (and still more video/DVD than cinema), is the presence of "English
subtitles for the hard of hearing". Which skips the entire "how difficult is
the translation job" argument, and centres on what part of the film should
be subtitled... If you accept that these should have songs subtitled, then
wouldn't "proper" translated sub-titles also include songs... Of course,
subtitles for the hard of hearing also include sound effects, and I doubt
that many of us would like to see those subtitled...

Quick web search reveals... www.yourlocalcinema.com which is a site for
cinema sub-titles for the hard of hearing.

Quote :

"An estimated 5 million people in the UK use subtitles to enjoy films. And
although subtitles are the norm on TV, DVD and video, they are NOT available
on most cinema releases. Silent movies are still the norm here, but without
the old captions that helped to explain the plot."

More Ross :
> Acting together, these excuses, sentiments, costs, difficulties greatly
> reduce the likelihood of song lyric translations.
>
> The result of these sorts of selection processes is that, almost
> unconsciously, film society ends up with a cultural form that is quite
alien
> to (or, as they say, alienated from) the intentions of filmmakers and
> audiences (even if not to/from the distributors).  In other words, this
> unsubtitled song thing is a symptom of a kind of film-culture unconscious.

I also think that most fans of foreign language cinema are relieved to see
things getting a release without being remade in English or badly dubbed...
Thanking heaven for small mercies and such. i.e. we feel that what we're
getting is as close to intentions as we're likely to see (and we hate to
complain about the poor subtitles after they've gone to all that trouble to
let us have the chance to see their film).

At least part of the reason behind this feeling is too much bad dubbing
historically, when the technology of sub-titling was less mature. With fewer
foreign language features getting released dubbed, and modern technology,
maybe the time is coming for quality of sub-titles as an issue - given
digital projection, there is presumably no reason that sub-titles couldn't
be projected on-the-fly from a different source than the actual feature
which must be rather cheaper than getting a subtitled film print made.
Wouldn't "better" sub-titles then attract more people to the films...

Quote from www.yourlocalcinema.com again :
"Of the films that are subtitled, many, including the latest Lord of the
Rings and Star Trek films, are 'digitally subtitled only' which means that
they are incompatible with 98% of UK cinemas. In fact only 17 cinemas in the
UK are capable of screening most of the latest subtitled releases (click
below for locations).

"These 17 cinemas have been equipped with a new 'access system'. Once a
cinema has the subtitle 'files', they can overlay subtitles onto the latest
films. They don't need a separate subtitled print. The system can be turned
on and off - similar to teletext subtitles on TV, so the screen can be used
for non-subtitled shows too.

So in fact, yes, digital sub-titling is with us :-) Apparently there are
plans afoot for 75 more cinemas to get this access system this year.

A little more www.yourlocalcinema.com :
"The system can also broadcast audio description, for visually impaired
people. The on screen action is described in detail through personal
headphones. This feature has no affect on an audience's enjoyment of a film
and can be left 'on' all of the time. Every show can be an audio described
show."

One last comment about www.yourlocalcinema.com is that they have a buttopn
to addd your name to a petition to try and get more cinemas doing access
screenings. If this leads to a greater acceptance of sub-titles, then it can
only be a good thing...

I wonder what the cultural norms are for sub-titling in most of Europe. When
English is a foreign language, you have a much bigger market for "foreign
language" films.

Steve