As I say; some examples have been found. I'll try to dig out the exact HJFRT
reference which gives close descriptions and includes stills. Kuleshov also
talks about it in one of his essays that was translated and published in a
book called something like "Fifty Years in Film". Again I can get a proper
reference to that at home. The films definitely exist. What audience
reactions were could well be a matter for discussion.

on 4/12/03 4:52 pm, D Turley at [log in to unmask] wrote:

> But wasn't there some doubt as if the actual experiments took place? I'm
> pretty sure that the supposed 'reactions' that were gained from the audience
> were in some kind of dispute?
>

>> From: John Riley <[log in to unmask]>
>> To: [log in to unmask]
>> Subject: Re: Eisenstein and visual experience
>> Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 14:51:39 +0000
>>
>> on 4/12/03 2:24 pm, daniel o'brien at [log in to unmask] wrote:
>>
>>> Hi everyone
>>>
>>> I am interested in how the thoughts we have can affect our visual
>>> experience.  The famous example of this is the line drawing of the
>>> duck-rabbit.  This *looks different* depending on whether we are
>> thinking of
>>> this as a duck or as a rabbit.  A friend of mine mentioned that
>> Eisenstein
>>> somewhere talks about this.  His example is that of a film of a man's
>> face.
>>> This can look different dependent on whether it is intercut with
>> pictures of
>>> food, or children, or war, etc.  Has anybody come across this?  Is this
>> in
>>> one of his films?  Where might there be references to this?
>>
>> Actually this is the so-called Kuleshov effect (after the director Lev
>> Kuleshov) in which the same shot of an actor (Mozzhukhin in this case) was
>> intercut with a child's coffin, a bowl of soup etc, the theory being that
>> you would read his expression as sad at the former and hungry at the
>> latter.
>> This most famous example doesn't actually exist (Kuleshov was so strapped
>> for cash that they experimented by making films without film). However some
>> of them do exist and there was a report on their discovery in the
>> Historical
>> Journal of Radio Film and Television some years ago.

>> *
>> *
>> *
>> *
>> ***
>>
>> Film-Philosophy Email Discussion Salon.
>>
>> After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of the message you are
>> replying to.
>>
>> To leave, send the message: leave film-philosopy to:
>>
>> For help email: [log in to unmask], not the salon.
>>
>> ***

> Use MSN Messenger to send music and pics to your friends
> http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger
>
> *
> *
> *
> *
> ***
>
> Film-Philosophy Email Discussion Salon.
>
> After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of the message you are
> replying to.
>
> To leave, send the message: leave film-philosopy to: [log in to unmask]
>
> For help email: [log in to unmask], not the salon.
>
> ***

*
*
*