I'm glad Sarah brought up Kill Bill.  I saw it last weekend KB.  I am
generally not a fan of Tarantino's work.  I've found always an absence of
emotion in favor of clever cinematic, structural etc. choices.  The magic
others see in certain moments usually doesn't happen for me.

I found KB worked very differently.

The over the top violence and fight scenes and were I think coupled with
sympathy for the characters.  I'm not sure sympathy is the right word.  But
it is a "humanization" of figures who essentially are like comic book
figures.  I think the audience's rapport with the characters is cemented  by
Tarantino's manipulation of genre.  You respond to "the hero" figure that
resonates and recognize her quickly in the separate narrative segments.

Anime and graphic novels allow for a huge amount of violence that is coupled
with a great sympathy for the lead, and certainly the Lucy Liu character
gained some affection by the end of that sequence.  Given the bloody nature
of the story, I'm not certain a live-action rendition would have resonated
in the same way.

The Godard comparison is very interesting and one that hadn't occurred to
me.  I can't say the toes made me think of the JLG coffee cup.  But overall,
T's ability to introduce elements of lyricism (an example would be the
visual lyricism of  the snowy garden where the last fight takes place) would
bear comparison to Godard and his abrupt poetic insertions.  This also
"humanizes" (here I'm not sure this is the perfect term) the characters.  At
least it touches the audience with relation to the story on a different
level than the comic book/violence antics that are enjoyable but from which
we can remain detached.

As  you mention there is a continual association/dissociation with the
characters that occurs.  (This in a very intangible reminded me of Lynch's
treatment of the character in Mulholland Drive).  At times you are so in
cahoots with him as you watch this absurd tale about absurd characters and
at other moments you become a traditional viewer going with the genre fight
sequence or what have you.

I think the most striking thing about the film is the very seamless way in
which Tarantino shifts tone throughout,  moving from the absurd, violent or
comical to draw on elements of genre and to achieve moments of real drama.