I wonder if I could ask people for some advice on a technical issue. I have
recently discovered that a number of pre-recorded VHS copies of films in my
possession have become impossible to view, the picture perpetually blurred as if
there are two images. Oddly, this doesn't seem to be happening with recordings
I have made myself. These items age from two to several years old. In some
cases I have watched them more than ten times, I suppose. In other instances,
not that often. As a Film Studies teacher, I have used the 'search' facility
quite extensively. A key example in a textbook I am writing, one of them has been
searched very extensively and is now particularly difficult to view.

I realize this is not really the place to be pitching such queries, but if
anybody has any thoughts I would be interested to hear them. I am aware that
video degrades, but not this quickly surely! Although I have a DVD, I was not
envisaging replacing 100s of videos so soon!
Thank-you for any insights...
Richard