This is close:
Godard on Godard, p. 181, cited in Robert B. Ray's The Avant-Garde Finds
Andy Hardy, p. 86:

"Cinema, Truffaut said, is spectacle--Melies--and research--Lumiere.  If I
analyse myself today, I see that I have always wanted, basically, to do
research in the form of a spectacle."

I don't have G on G here to check, but that's where I'd look.

Yikes, just saw your address.  Do you teach film at LSU-Shreveport?

Patricia A. Suchy
Department of Communication Studies
Louisiana State University
136 Coates Hall