If H's sexual tensions are of interest, then a straight forward comparison
of Hannah Arendt and her lover/mentor H would provide a solid set of clues.
Perhaps her *banality of evil* might even apply.

I apologize to the forum for a rather attenuated presentation of music as an
example of ontology at work in art. Nonetheless, it is not irrelevant to the
discussion as to the progression from Monteverdi's extraordinary efforts in
effecting a conceptual / artistic system. That he ended up with a Cartesian
result is the problematic that an artist like Beethoven took up.

Theodore Adorno's extensive work on Beethoven is extremely apropos. He was,
of course, a scholar of H., and expressed his philosophical education and
individual concepts in his understanding of B's artistic life cycle. Whereas
we might endlessly discuss H's sandwiching of the metaphysical origins and
futures around being-in-time, the trajectory of a great artists is perhaps
the best example of what this might mean or not mean.

I would urge anyone on this list to read Thomas Mann's chapter in Dr.
Faustus which is a direct fictionalization of Theodore Adorno's famous
lecture/performance on Beethoven's last sonata. It took place in the Pacific
Palisades [my bad re: Santa Monica]. Most of us are quite aware of Adorno's
transformative ideas regarding dialectics. My favorite is Dialectics of
Enlightenment, because I studied the French Enlightenment no doubt.
Regardless, the metamorphosis from passion into
convention/language/structure. Then moving into a manifest conjuring of a
being/beings first walking then almost transgressing the phenomena of life
being pulled into death / stillness; movement into quiet, the tensions
between. It's true. It is there.

Heidegger was nearly on the mark in his belief that art could express the
full being of the metaphysical mingled with pure being-in-the-world. Where H
went wrong was indeed, as Richard pointed out, that the causality between
origins and ontology simply do not exist any longer [if ever]. And this
proved dangerous to the extreme. In Beethoven's Ode To Spring the heightened
possibility of collective experience of transformation in being other could
be achieved, much in the same manner as N's Birth of Tragedy. By the time
Beethoven had reached beyond maturity into wisdom of age in his last works
he portrayed a lightness and heaviness of being, pure embodiment of being,
much as Nietzche came to do with thought. It is not beside the point that
Beethoven was deaf, essentially expressing his ideas without measuring this
against physical affirmation. Similar to ontology without naming. Beyond
naming.

This is not trivial nor am I attempting to be wild eyed or inventive.
Certainly I apologize if belaboring my ideas.

best, Susanna