----- Original Message -----
From: "Shaw, Dan" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 5:29 PM
Subject: FW: Being is Time

> Let me try it again Joseph.  Please acknowledge if it comes through in
other than gibberish.

> Dan
>
> "For beauty is the beginning of terror that we are still able to bear, and
why we love it so is because it so serenely disdains to destroy us." Rilke's
First Elegy

philosophical classics that are entitled "X & Y" (Appearance and Reality,
Process and Reality, Being and Nothingness), and really mean "X is Y", Being
is Time for Heidegger, in that it is because we have a future that we can
project possibilities into, and strive with all our might to realize them
(shaping the world in our image in the process) that our existence can have
meaning. Our past makes our choices in the present meaningful as well, by
grounding our priorities in more that simple randomness.  And we are called
to be who we authentically are in the process.

>     Now, Susanna was right that one can be authentically a Nazi, but that
is a problem only if you expect existentialism to generate an objective
hierarchy of moral values...which it never claimed to be able to do.