I know  this is unrelated (and I am rethinking, rereading  the previous
issues) but at lunch today we discussed Canada's failed Meech Lake Accord
which attempted to resolve historical legal conflicts imbedded and
unresolved in our Constitution, our way of life. I thought it would make a
great documentary within an overview of Canada the internally "fragmented"
with the chain of conflicts remaining ultimately unresolved because of the
manifest pride and egos by the final decision makers, the lawyers. To
clarify, the federal-provincial jurisdiction issue wrt sharing of powers is
intertwined with the issue of sovereignty-association with French speaking
Quebec (they wanted to split), language and culture (we are the most
multi-cultured place on earth, particularly in Toronto), geographic (east,
west, Maritime, central , our northern territories) etc. The politicians
reached a form of consensus and asked a task force of lawyers to draft an
acceptable version of the agreement. Stupidly they gave the lawyers a
deadline. The point being that giving the task of mediation, contract
negotiation and resolution to a group of trained  warriors  is a venture
designed to fail and exemplifies Canada the fragmented not only in the
traditional senses but in the psychological structures of the groups of
power
as well.  In particular, the lawyers usurped the power of the politicians
and
negated any agreements because of infighting. I wasn't there and one must be
careful of potential defamation claims but I hear that specific
individuals/cliques refused to co-operate because of the fear of being seen
to capitulate (lose the argument). Reminds one of Freud's poo (Freud's
analysis of anal-retentives in terms of parsimony, stubbornness and
orderliness). This aspect of unintended "treachery" has probably been
addressed numerous times in film already (I am not well versed in the
history of film) but the lawyer-bashing aspect renders it more interesting.
Regards, Richard