Hi Bob

I was so curious about what you said that I actually went and bought American
cinematographer mag and found the article a very interesting read.

It is interesting that he wanted to make the 12 sequences feel like one-shot
sequences, (I remember wondering how he did certain shots when watching the
film), as opposed to them being real one-shot sequences. The  seamless
representation of time he wants to create from it really takes away the episodic
(going back in time) feel of the film. In fact, as your title suggests, it has
two endings. the beginning (which is in fact the end in terms of chronology) and
the ending of the film (which is then free to function not only as a causal means
to the chronology, but a memory-image) In fact, the whole film is like that of a
Proustian memory... existing outside of your own memory, but one which exists in
time.

also, having read the article, it really puts into perspective for me the visuals
at the opening of the film -- the 'breakdown' of the camera is a beautiful way to
capture what we were seeing/ not seeing.  you can see that in the rape sequence
(which I described before) the camera having taken on an 'affect' and staying
with Alex, mimicking her movements...

Just on a technical point, have you seen Russian Ark? I read about it in The
Guardian film review section last year, and have been reading all that I could
find on it since, especially the long article in Jan edition of American
Cinematographer mag (which was excellent and insightful).  I would love to hear
your comments on it. ( i haven't seen it as yet, but it's finally coming to
Australia this easter, so I'm curious to discuss it).

cheers
Janice

________

Janice Tong