From: Film-Philosophy Salon [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On
Behalf Of Chris Rose
Sent: 15 April 2003 01:45
To: Matt Crowder
Subject: Re: Poor-quality images

(I've just joined the list so apologies if this has already been
covered)  Poor quality video images also abound in david lynch's lost
highway. the images are often so grainy that foreground and backround
merge in a kind of depthless middle, full of static and reminiscent, in
their molecular movement, of the earth swarming with insects from that
opening scene in blue velvet.   you don't know whether you're in the
screen or whether perhaps the object  is seeping into your perception,
edging closer in its own misshapen and unsettling way. and in lost
highway these images are very unsettling!  this is probably one of the
more interesting uses of video, one which deliberately exploits its low
res appeal (not to mention its capacity for picking up noise or static,
which I think appeals to lynch for obvious reasons) for formal reasons.

Chris