I guess my point is that the 'form' of The Matrix affects its content. This
is because the film begins 'philosophically' and is engaging with an
audience on a level of 'what if', ontological speculation and man and
machine (add your own).

This is based around a set of moral judgements; that the Matrix is bad
because it oppresses humans. That's made very clear and not just because we
are both told it is bad, and make an moral judgement that oppression is bad,
but because of the way we see the trapped humans: body horror and slime. The
form of the imprisonment thus affect the content of the empirical fact
'humans are imprisoned'.

This moral structure is then completely undermined as Neo and the audience
(because the special effects are so damn cool) begin to enjoy the matrix.
This again is because of the form that the action is presented in - Bullet
Time -, the pounding music and fast edits. The form of the movie makes us
enjoy the very thing that it told us we should hate.

It is not even a sense of 'working within the system' which the rebels must
of course do, and real life revolutionaries and reformers must acknowledge.
But a Marxist will probably not revel in consumersim, or if they do they
will be aware of it and admit their contradicitons. The Matrix does not
admit that it is a contradiction - mostly because it can't a Product but
probably because the Wachowski's donm't realise its contradictory either.
The Matrix does contain truth, but this truth is blurred into falsity due to
the way in which the form affects one's judgement of the content.

Yes, these issues can be raised outside the film in themselves, but in
examining the film itself we have to see that the 'philosophy' in it is
half-baked and only there to give an intellectual-esque thrill, as well as a
specutacular one.

>So clearly, they are not
properly evaluated when they are only interpreted as
integrally linked to - in this case - the film methods
we see in The Matrix.

But as you say they can be looked at outisde the film - I guess it depends
whether you see films as simply 'raising questions' that must then be judged
separated from the film, or include the film as part of a philosophical
debate - and while The Matrix is included in this debate, it does not stand
up to philosophical interrorgation because it is incoherent, due to its form
which confuses the meaning of the content.