Angelica and others,

Firstly, Michael Winterbottom's 'In this World', which recently won the
Golden Bear in Berlin and as it happens opens in London today, about
migration from Asia to England.

Second, '11/09/01 - September 11' - the compilation film with episodes
by Makhmalbaf, Chanine, Tanovic, Loach, Imamura et.al., now out on
video.

Third, there is a problem I detect in your original request and hence in
'particularly tasked to give attention to European cinemas, especially
German/French/Italian'. The problem is that this in part defeats the
purpose of the exercise, because it reproduces a Eurocentric picture of
the world. Please note, I don't oppose this for doctrinal reasons of any
sort, I'm very partial to European cinema, but because it's part of the
problem - which is the assumption that a global view is capable of being
a purview of the whole as if from outside and above (this being a
construct of the whole tradition of occidental philosophy at least since
the Enlightenment).

To me, in order to deliver the course you're describing, you have to
have points of comparison with films from other parts of the globe,
films which put this dominant occidental perspective into another
perspective, as '11/09/01' at least attempts to do.

You have to search high and low for European or North American films
which even so much as mention any other part of the world, except for
the likes of adventure genres. (Try comparing Crocodile Dundee with
Shadi Abdel Salam's The Night of the Counting of the Years, which
recounts the European archeological exploration of Egypt from the
Egyptian point of view.)
In Latin American cinema, on the other hand, it is almost unusual for a
film not to reference the first world in some way. I particularly
recommend, however, a number of Argentinian films, including Adolfo
Aristarain's A Place in the World (Un lugar en el mundo) and Eliseo
Subiela's Man Looking South East (Hombre mirando al sureste). (The
latter, by the way, is the original of the recent American movie K-Pax,
which appears to be a rip-off of Subiela's film.)

These are just a few suggestions - there are lots more, especially if
you can include documentaries, of which there are hundreds.

Michael Chanan