Just so people are aware that I realize that there are some "horror" films
which transcend the genre, I will admit to seeing and liking "Hallowe'en" when
I was very young.  I found the end (where he disappears) thought provoking. But
after that I stopped seeing the "hardcore" stuff.  I caught the end of the
Canadian film "Cube," which was not gratuitously gory and was indeed very
interesting.  (I suppose it has been discussed on this list.)

Recently I caught a glimpse of the old Texas CM, which was just stupid.  Two
young men are driving a car across a bridge and the chainsaw guy is standing on
a pickup going backward, weilding his saw all over.  One guy shoots at him, and
it only reveals another mask.  In a scene that would be over in about 20
seconds max in real life, it goes on and on, for what seems to be minutes.  The
driver's head get sawed.  While I suppose it is typical of the genre that
people do things they shouldn't (eg go to the dark basement), this surpassed
all credibility.  Why didn't the duo put on the brakes?  DUH.  In light of the
new release, there's a whole whack of retro-praise for this film, locating it
in its era and, thus, supposedly commenting on post-war America blah blah.
Yes, I am sure the director and producer had social aims in mind, were
concerned solely with art-making, and donated all their profits to a local
charity.

Andrew