I have often noticed that at film festivals a good comedy is a rare treat. So rare that I have a theory that audience awards can often go to mediocre comedies. It seems that maybe comedy is not serious enough for serious cinema. Or maybe it is too hard to do, or too serious. Any way good comedy is always a rare treat. I also suspect that the comic motivates a lot of fiction, even quite serious stuff. Does it motivate fiction as such?

One of the best comedies I have seen recently was Christopher Guest's A MIGHTY WIND. But it seemed somehow small. Does comedy have to be small? Some of the best comedy I have seen in recent times was on the small screen. Many said they cringed at Ricky Gervais THE OFFICE. I laughed. I liked the characters - even the most craven ones. I liked the characters in MIGHTY WIND too. Do we have to like the characters in comedy?

More importantly, would anyone like to recommend a good comedy or two?

Ross