Dan writes, in part:
>      As an aficionado of horror and editor of both a book and a special
> edition of Film and Philosophy on the subject, I might suggest that your
> cavalier dismissal of an extremely popular and thought-provoking genre is
> rather closed minded.  Not everyone likes horror, or kung-fu splatter films,
> and if you don't by all means don't go see them.

Well, popularity doesn't mean good, as McDonald's hamburgers proves.  And I
don't see how dismembering people provokes thought beyond "glad it wasn't me."
True, it might remind us of our mortality, yet all I need to do is pick up the
paper to get plenty of reminders. I don't understand why people need such
points (about mortality) hammered home (through the literal hammering of
people's heads?) unless it arises, as I have said, from a state of numbness and
dissipation: so inured are they to the horror of life that they need a jolt to
remind themselves of the blood that runs in their bodies--the thrill of it all--
or it may be that normal life just doesn't cut it and they need a constant flow
of "extremes" (ask any recovering addict).

Part of my complaint is that much of North American society is so afraid of
bodies and sex--things which are inherently natural, but which are, unlike a
lot of violence, deeply repressed (or, on screen, mixed with violence as a
warning, eg, killing sexually active teens in horror movies).  While these may
be reflections and commentaries on "society," I wonder that we need to sit
through hours of Hollywood films to understand these points.  I do not advocate
censorship or self-censorship; rather, just a greater awareness of things that
have more to do with profit and capitalism than they do with the thinking
person and, dare I say, entertainment.  Horror films strike me as a kind of
lowest-common-denominator: a lazy way to make a point, and in this they strike
me as deeply anti-intellectual (and yes, that is a comment on American-inspired
consumerism).

Certainly, there are exceptions (Hannibal et al), but let's round off the
category, please.

Andrew