I think the lack of lyrical translation has allot to do with language.  A
friend was enjoying a Spanish song on the radio recently and he couldn't
translate it for me, the meaning that is.  A lyric like `I like fish with
salt' didn't strike me as particularly romantic, while in its own context it
was a beautiful sentiment.  Also, the screen might not have enough room for
all this translation.  I'm thinking of a felini movie where the wife is
throwing the bum men out of the kitchen, the translation said `get out you
bums' while Ana Magnani(sp) clearly said much more than that and very
passionately too.

Theres also the Bugs Bunny sketch where these guys wash up on a desert
island, Bugs greets them as a native and says a giant speech in whatever
language, the translation on screen was simply: Welcome.  Then Bugs utters
one syllable and the translation fills the entire screen...