Fwd From: [log in to unmask]
From:    Jon Jost <[log in to unmask]>

Post to CE:  (http://www.verticalplunge.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi?) (For those intersted Cinema Electronica is purportedly about Dv etc., but in fact goes all over the map from film, electronic media, politics, technical stuff, arts, etc etc etc.)

Russian Ark:  I went with interest, though prejudiced: I don't much care for Sokurov's films, nor, having met him a few times and having some other direct awareness of some things about him, do I care for him: he is for me unbearably pretentious and, perhaps like Greenaway, seems to regard himself as god's gift to the world.  His films for me have a similar preciousness.  So I went prejudiced, and, having seen a few of his things, also with a preconception as to what I was likely to see.  I was more or less correct in the latter.

Russian Ark is a continuous long hand-held (Steadicam hand-held, done very well) HD shot (digital info fed directly to hard disk) in which the camera enters the Hermitage in St. Petersburg, and continues for about 90 minutes, led "narratively" by a somewhat quirky (and in my view irritating - both in terms of his function in the film, his "acting" and the content of what he says/does) character, a hypothetical french diplomat with frizzy hair, somewhat exaggerated mannerisms, all exacerbated by the minimal narrative demands placed on him - he is a kind of excuse, a figure for the camera to follow, but his persona and narrative functions don't really support him as a central figure, and so as time goes by he becomes more and more superfluous and hence annoying: who needs him?   Sokurov apparently did, and in the work he (apparently his voice) is in continuous voice-over conversation with him, making presumably serious commentary about the nature and quality of Russian culture, its "inferiority" complex vis a vis "European" culture, etc.  Again, this commentary which postures a deep and serious scarcely scrapes the surface.  As, finally, does the film.  Russian Ark is a vast costume/set piece, in which the camera floats through a hypothetical compression of Russian history, clearly with a nostalgic (and blind) eye, dropping names, a kind of narcissistic historical voyeurism, in which we get an alleged glimpse of Catherine the Great, or this or that figure, of the wealth, the decadence, the this and the that, but never do we feel on hard real ground.  Nope, Russia, the vast treasure house of it, lies resolutely very far off screen.  What is on screen is a costume epic of some sort that would make a Hollywood studio quiver.  Extras - we got 'em by the thousands, all decked out in spiffy 18th century clothes and wigs; setting? we got the Hermitage, a vast imperial palace the walls of which are heavy with "name" art (if in fact not really the best of the name art); pretensions?  we got 'em, a combo of history and Kulture  interlaced with a deepset inferiority complex that gives rise to all kinds of pompousities about "Europe" and "Russian soul" etc. etc., and with no less than 3 live orchestras too boot, each cranked up and ready to deliver as the camera glides into sight.

Russian Ark is a tour de force of orchestration, no doubt about it.  But it is, at 90 minutes, and despite the heavy lacing heavy cultural "significance" and the technical bravura of this long digital take, rather thin gruel.  After a while the spectacle of the Hermitage, the paintings, the costumes, the orchestras, the entire panoply which Sokurov throws at the spectator, pales into a kind of triviality.  What emerges is the overt failure to actually take on the real history of Russia and to offer instead a merangue of costumes and music; what sinks this epic shot is the flimsy twit who has taken you through all this with not a meaningful thought to express - whether the flimsy twit is Sokurov himself or his surrogate French diplomat; what one arrives at is a grand effort in which the end result clearly fails to warrant all the bother.

The audience (sizable, on a Thursday night, with many Russians present) which I saw it with left unstirred, and clearly perplexed.  I don't think it was the single-shot tour-de-force quality of the work that left them behind, the seeming avant-garde filmic quality (a delusionary quality which in fact was essentially theatrical and not cinematic).  Rather it was the vapid content juxtaposed to this would-be spectacle in which expectations were constantly disappointed:  not a single moment contained a drama worth watching, not a single utterance managed to approach the vast tragedy of Russia, not a single moment of the camera work (always at eye-level with the exception of a few modest lifts) actually rose above the technical sassiness of "hey look long take."   Rather while the orchestration was vast (literally THOUSANDS of extras), piece by piece it never moved beyond the pedestrian, the little "acts" were one by one trivial and silly, the "actors" never required to do much more than move about and flutter a bit, with the obnoxious "French diplomat" unable to bring things to any level beyond the mechanical.  The end result - despite the would-be bravado of the closing (20 minutes) passage of dance (Buzby Berkeley where are you when we need you?), in which a throng of extras go through the motions of a grand dance which never really materializes, and finally exit enmasse (the well costumed mass being the only impressive matter) to conclude the film - is flat and empty as was everything which preceded it: bad history, bad nostalgia, bad acting, bad directing, bad writing all masked with a bravura technical idea encased in costumes and a setting to die for.

Naturally, critics took the bait as surely Sokurov knew they would.  The audience at the Music Box (spectacular theater by the way) most certainly did not.   Nor, well armed with my prejudices, did I.

As a filmmaker I looked at this as a rich opportunity squandered, though as a cynic I understood: how many people would mistake the stupid veneer of fancy 18th century costumes and the stucco theatricality of the Hermitage for "art" when the far far more difficult work of orchestrating in a meaningful fashion a continuous 90 minute take was trivialized into wading into the costume department??   The meaningful usage of the potential of a 90 minute take remains open for someone with a lot more creative power than Mr. Sokurov has.  Any takers?