Hi,

for audience startled but character not: see
Polanski's "Repulsive": The scene where C. Deneuve
closes the closet and we see the "hairy man" in the
mirror. Polanski uses a clever way of framing, so that
the audience does not expect to see anything in the
mirror at all (he does not show the stereotypical
establishing shot of the "empty" mirror, and then the
same shot with the reflection of the man. Instead, he
changes camera position, so the audience without
implying anything threatening coming soon.)

for character startled, but audience not: I think many
Hitchcock scenes, in which he uses suspense to achieve
this effect. The audience knows about a coming thread,
but the character does not. However, one might argue
that, even though the audience knows about the coming
climax, there is still a moment of surprise (eg. see
Psycho: shower scene and scene in which M. Balsam is
killed).

Hope to get more opinions on this,

Catalin

--- Robert Blanchet <[log in to unmask]>