Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 23:58:11 -0400
To: [log in to unmask],[log in to unmask]
From: Jim Phelan <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: restricted vs. unreliable narration

Mike,

Thanks for forwarding this exchange to the Narrative list. I'll try replying to both lists and see if that works.

Am I right to understand that in this discussion on the film-philosophy list restricted narration refers to any narration from a character in a film? And, thus, it has two main subsets, reliable restricted narration and unreliable restricted narration?

If that's right, then, Mike, I think the answer to your first question--does an honest but misleading narration from a character belong to the subset of reliable or unreliable narration--depends on the activity of the audience in response to the narration.  If, as you suggest, the audience is clued in to the misleading nature of the narration, then I'd be inclined to call it unreliable because the audience still has to do what it would do if the narrator were deliberately deceiving the narratee: reject the narrator's statements and posit an alternative.  We could, however, distinguish between the moral character of the mistaken but honest narrator and the lying narrator.

As for the second question--how do we talk about the honest but misleading narration that we are not clued in to as it occurs? (I assume we figure out later that it's misleading)--I think that again we have to regard the narration as unreliable for the same reason as above, but that the heart of the question is about whether we should say that the film itself is unreliable, since it intends to deceive.  And here, I think, the answer is "it depends." Not disclosing the unreliablity to the audience until later can be a very positive move if two conditions (at minimum) are met: (a) the audience recognizes that the narrative contained clues to what it was concealing; and (b) the disclosure adds to the quality of the narrative by adding something significant to the audience's engagement with it.  If neither of these conditions are met, then the audience will feel cheated and will regard the narrative as itself unreliable.

The Usual Suspects is a good example of the first general type (though of course Kevin Spacey's character is deliberately deceiving Chazz Palminteri's character). BTW, David Richter has written some good stuff about this film as well as about some others with major disclosures at the end, including The Sixth Sense. If you're reading this, David, perhaps you'll want to jump in.

Erich Segal's Oliver's Story--the novel and perhaps the film--is a good example of the second general type. In this sequel to Love Story, we learn that Oliver Barrett has been honestly mistaken about his father: rather than being a selfish, narrow-minded WASP, he's a good-hearted, enlightened, and generous man.  But the trouble is that Segal has given us no clues that Oliver is wrong about his father and that many of the emotional effects of both Love Story and the first half of Oliver's Story depend on Oliver being right about his father. The disclosure, then, actually undercuts the experience offered by the previous narrative; or, in other words, the reconfiguration the disclosure requires detracts from rather than adds to our overall experience of the narrative (some would say that's a good thing, but that conclusion is part of another kind of discussion).

Hope there's something useful here. If not, then perhaps I can be useful by posting the instructions to subscribe to the narrative list:
Send email to [log in to unmask]
Include the following line in the body of your message:
subscribe narrative

Best,
Jim