Dear Dan

Most of Lynch's works present the Cartesian view of the mind. Especially in Blue Velvet and Mulholland Drive everything we see in the film is happening in the mind of the main character of the film and we cant be sure whether it is a representation of reality or the ( mis)conception of the character's mind. In Blue Velvet when the story begins the camera dives into a human ear which is on of the entrances of the head. At the end of the film it comes out of the main characters's ear and we see that order in the world has beeen restored ( the robins are back). So i am justified to believe that whatever happened in between might be the fantasies of the boy. In Mulholland Drive in the beginning there is a shot of a point of view of someone( we dont know who) who is approaching a pillow as if he/she is lying down. In this shot the camera actually takes the place of a head approaching nad lying down to the pillow. Later on we realise that the first pa! rt of the film was a kind of dream or fantasy of Diane. The camera therefore was probably was substituting Diane's head. In the Twin Peaks series Dale Cooper and Laura Palmer share the same dream as if their minds are somehow connected.
About testimony the ideal film is Last yeat in Marieband(1961). A man persuades a woman tha the previous year had met in the same hotel and had agreed to elope. The problem is that the woman doest remeber this. However the man by giving her constantly details of their previous meeting manages to remind her the facts or to construct a false memory (?).
Well that's all that i can think for the time being. Please inform on any progress you make especially on the first issue (the mind). I am very interested in the things that will come up.
Helen

Do you Yahoo!?