joseph's "knee-jerk" response has prior company. i remember being horrified by a bright stanford graduate recruit of chinese extraction, who scoffed at the idea anyone should pursue post-graduate asian studies for her view that it portends to "ethnic ghettoizing" and excludes the great white father's history and appetites. she believed talking about chinese history would write out chinese-american relations or ostracize american history in general in the academy.

similarly, joe, i don't think any film network focusing on women can really exclude men to the extent they refuse to have any professional, creative, or even personal contact with them in their daily pursuit of art & commerce. they're interested in helping women with a forum of support and access. the fact that men are on the dialectical end of the gender seesaw, doesn't mean they're out to dis-empower men. granted, there are certain flavors of feminism (or any type of interest groups carried to the extremes of "fanaticism") who are aggressive about writing men off the earth. but you don't write off the whole islamic faith just because a few extremists carry it to the extent of terrorist crusades. (of course i'm writing this with only knowledge of cinenova's philosophy, not the actual dynamics and practice of their female participants when interacting with men in the industry.) if you truly can't see that a for-women group like cinenova may be no more excluding of men than a!
n alcoholic anonymous group is of overweight folks, veterans bill is of non-vets, or methodist church is of buddhists, then we really have a case of "knee-jerk" on our hands indeed.

but yes, i understand that sense of panic similar to what an asian woman feels, when she casts a glance to the blue yonder of USA (or insert your
own paradise) and sees mostly the "good ol' boys club" holding the keys to legitimacy and other grease tins for the structure. it must be the same feeling of apocalypse for a man to look aside and see, what amounts to a _mirage_ in this case, a (under-funded?) "good ol' girls club" out to leave men in their heels' dust. not true.

jacqui