On the cinematic essay, Nate, I would recommend hunting down Philip
Lopate's "In Search of the Centaur: The Essay-Film,"
included in his collection TOTALLY TENDERLY TRAGICALLY (Anchor Books,
1998). Lopate has a huge investment in the
literary essay (as both a writer and editor), and his exploration of the
"essay film" is completely informed by that background,
for better and for worse. All in all, it's the most thoughtful piece on the
subject that I'm aware of.

Best,

Jonathan Rosenbaum