As you probably know, a great many of the films made in Iran since the
Islamic Revolution of 1979 have been about children.  Certainly the most
poetic and beautiful of these are the works of Abbas Kiarostami whose body
of work predates the Revolution.  His most lovely works that deal with
children are, I think,  Homework, Traveler and Where is the House of the
Friend.  White Balloon that you mentioned was made by Panahi but based on a
story by Kiarostami.

Another Iranian director Majidi made two films The Color of Paradise and the
Children of Heaven  that I like a great deal less but that were very
successful (commercially released in the U.S. by Miramax).

I recently saw an Italian film called I Am Not Scared about that I like
although it falls a little too much in the pat/cute Majidi category than in
the more truly amazing Kiarostami one...

D.