a quote somewhat out of context from among this morning's messages:

>>So referencing....philosophical or otherwise, but especially in philosophy,
>>I think: I know its the way academia works, and I do it myself. However if
>>philosophy is a method where the conceptual tools are themself examined . . .

as someone who comes to philosophy from the peculiar field
called "english" i may be more sensitive to language than
most, but since words are among the conceptual tools
we use, and since the quoted message invites us [again] to
examine those tools, let me ask about the use of a single
word:

what's the difference between "referencing" and "referring"
or "referring to" or "citing"? . . .  "referencing" seems to me a
barbarism--but that's just intuitive and perhaps an illegitimate
sort of objection, so if there is some substantive reason for
using the term i'll shut up about it  . . . but so far i'm not
aware of any such reason

mike