<<I see D as a stalking panther who surveys, examines the ground and
stealthily creeps up on you in your lair or hiding place, and pounces
announcing that there is no safety anywhere. His sophisticated surgical
examination using the arsenal of "logic" weaponry leaves one overwhelmed
and wavering in uncertainty. (This would make a great cartoon). But I find
D's method seriously flawed. It appears to be based on the assumptions
underlying a coherence theory of truth. The procedure is to assume an
existing framework then seek out inconsistencies and shout that "all is
false". >>

My main area is neither film nor philosophy so I cannot always pepper my
remarks with supportive references (a legitimate practice of course, as
long as it doesn't substitute for your own thinking. But equally, I don't
believe 'philosophy' is just what's on The University Reading List).

I think characterising the greats in a generalised way is an interesting
exercise, that they do indeed express fundamentally simple attitudes over
which is laid layer upon layer of carefully wrought thinking. But its a
project in which, sadly, I cannot participate very much because this is not
my background. Except for Deleuze......who currently occupies my interest,
and what strikes me about his work is its insistent refusal to become
linear. I find that curious, intriguing, and perceptive. Reading D, I find,
is as much about the *process* of reading D as any conclusions he makes, or
I make. There is some parallel here with Lynch - he defies narrative
structure and thus conventional perception and you need repeat viewings in
order to engage with what unfolds on the screen. So again, its process
rather than definition or conclusion.

I don't know if anyone else (here or otherwise) feels that way about D, or
if anyone has written about it. If so, I'd be interested.