" As far as my goal as a teacher to evoke empathy in my students, I believe the following:

If we can empathize with those we have previously believed to be 'evil' then we can empathize with anyone. Certainly a fellow human whom we have previously felt separate from simply for reasons of different race, gender, sexuality, religion, national origin, etc. If we can  empathize with the villainous other, then there is the potential to re-humanize and put a face to every Other. I think that by reading and viewing texts that have such characters at their focus--I'm talking about rich texts that really show us who these characters are and how they became embroiled in these situations that have led to their "bad" decisions--we (and ultimately our students) have a chance to realize that people really aren't that different. Natural Born Killers was the most extreme example of a "good" film with an"evil doer" at its center I could think of at the time. I haven't seen it in a few years.

I "overstand" your goal as a teacher; and, perhaps, how you use cinema as a tool for social justice? It seems like we agree with each other in regards to what constitute a good film, I'm I correct?

As for "evil," I believe that I don't have the capacity to really know what "evil" is, my definition is contimanted with bias, either personal or cultural, and self-worth. (This present war may serve as a good example!!) I accept this because I speak from experience. If a film is able to transcend definitions, it shows how "bad" people are not really bad, but like us!

It seems like analyzing a film itself is not enough, It helps me to include the audiences reaction to it as well. I look at a film/movie within its context, between the film and its viewer. In a sense, it is a conversation between the filmmakers and the audience. In that regards, film can serve more as a supplement to other subjects like math, science, philosophy, religion, social studies, literature, politics, so and so forth. And perhaps, vice-versa. I'm interested to know what subject you teach?

In conclusion, I agree with your goal as a teacher, and believe that a film is a powerful tool for social justice. It may even help us understand ourselves and society better, important criterias to what constitues "a good film." A "good film" does this for me!

I hope you had enough sleep to continue this conversation.

Until then,

WJ Bookman