<<< The philosophical importance of The Matrix
manifests in its slick
aesthetics.  It is a film about the prospects of
thinking technology,
prospects fully metaphysical and ontological in
nature, but they are
prospects that are thinkable only because of recent
shifts in the
relationship between subjectivity and technology, and
subjectivity and
media, and as such The Matrix does an exceptional job
of putting those
issues into play.>>>

No this is wrong. The importance derives from the
importance of the ideas - how they are expressed is
secondary. In fact the *way* they are expressed
probably accounts for some of the widespread critical
disdain - it seems too obvious, slick, and ultimately
superficial.

<<<Asking for "genuine philosophical enquiry" is
like
asking a dozen economists to agree on the truest
economic theory --
reductive, and to be honest, not particularly
useful>>>

I disagree. Its not reductive at all: *enquiry* means
a divergent opening-up, not an intellectual closure.

<<<What interests me is *why* _The Matrix_ seems so
innovative,
philosophical,
contemporary or explicit, when in many regards it's
just another action
film. Few claims made of its innovation or originality
can be
adequately
supported, so why *don't* we seem to see that? ....I
wonder why we're so short sighted as to see it
as
special.

I'm not convinced it was *special*. But it did have
some philosphical merit and dismissing this is, in my
opinion, probably more indicative of intellectual
fashion than anything else.