Hi,
someone was interested in gender in New Wave films. A couple of references
came to mind. One was Genevieve Sellier's piece in Gender and French Cinema
edited by Hughes and Williams (Berg, 2001) and another is The radical faces
of Godard and Bertolucci by Yosefa Loshitzky (Wayne (?), 1995). I'm fairly
sure the latter has something on gender. Genevieve Sellier and Ginette
Vincendeau wrote something  on similar topic in Iris no. 26, which is
coincidentally the same number which contains pieces on cinephilia and
masculinity by Noel Burch and Genevieve Sellier (about which someone else
was, I think, asking). I have written something on the Belmondo persona and
gender which is due out in 2004 or thereabouts - I have a couple of pages on
A bout de souffle and the masculine and can pass this on if its any use.
Ginette Vincendeau's book on Stars and stardom in French cinema must also
have quite a bit that relates to gender and the New Wave.
Hope that is of belated use. +
MArtin O'Shaughnessy (Nottingham Trent)