Is it possible that the fish were anaethsetised  not to avoid pain but to
make them docile enough to enable the handlers to 'check them top to
bottom'.   Examining a live salmon would othewise involve an energetic
amount of slippery  juggling.

Regards

PK

  >According to fish health technicians fish feel pain. I think that is why
people take up the sport of fishing anyway. They like the 'action' of the
fighting fish. If fish were unable to feel pain, then why would they fight
against the 'barbless hook'?