This is the second time I am posting this. I am not sure if it was delivered the last time, but I apologise to anybody who is receiving this request twice.

I am currently putting together a proposal for a MRes in Victorian literature. I have been using a copy of "The Wordsworth Companion to Literature in English" ed. Ian Ousby (revised paperback edition, 1992), to find writers and books suitable for my topic.

About a week ago, I came across the entry for C[uthbert] E[dward] Rippingale, 1825-1897,  author of "Robert Higden: or  The Sweat Shop" (1851) and "The Lion Yard Meeting" (1852), but am having difficulty finding another reference for this man or for his works anywhere else. I have checked the web catalogue of the British Library, Bodleian and Cambridge University Libraries, and found nothing.

Can anybody tell me if this writer and these books ever really existed?

Regards,

Sabrina Zaman

London, UK